Sunday, 10 April 2011

EasyPeasy Pea Soup


I just can't resist a pun. I blame it on a lifetime of my dad's bad jokes and, worryingly, my fiancé can be just as groanworthy (I feel like I'm singlehandedly proving the Electra complex). 

But the fact remains, I love punning. Case in point - last year I not only laughed out loud when I came across a new pun, I also emailed it to at least four people AND said it out loud to others. This hilarious pun? "Some people love soft cheese, but I camembert it".  I have a silly smirk on my face even now just typing it out and yes, I'm ashamed of myself. 


Why this blather about puns? This title is another one I couldn't resist. This pea and mint soup could illustrate the word "easy" in the dictionary and from there it's just a hop, skip and a jump to embracing the pun of easy peasy. I'm sorry, good people of t'interweb, but it had to be done. 

This soup takes about five minutes to make and feels so fresh and Spring-like and healthy that you can justify any amount of bread and butter on the side (think I'm joking? See my earlier post). The recipe is heavily adapted from one in Nigella's Feast, a pea and cheese soup in her Hallowe'en chapter which she appetisingly calls "Slime Soup". 

We remove the cheese and add a bit of mint and the result is lovely - not fancy, not exotic, but fresh and vibrant and very pretty (I know that these pictures make Nigella's title seem more appropriate but it is pretty in real life, I promise). That makes it pretty damn great, and makes the whole meal something else I can't resist. Like this pun - go on, give peas a chance. Yes, I know that's terrible. No, I can't stop.


Pea and Mint Soup
Adapted from Nigella's Feast
Serves two greedy people for a big lunch, or 4 for a small starter

- 500g frozen peas
- 750ml of boiling water plus a stock cube (chicken or vegetable, either is fine)
- 1 spring onion, whole
- handful of mint leaves

Just cook the peas and spring onion in the boiling water with the stock cube until the peas are tender (about 5 minutes). Then remove the spring onion, add the mint and blitz with a blender or food processor. See? Easypeasy isn't just a pun, it's a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget