Wednesday, 29 June 2011

How to make your own Confetti Cones


Remember how I said last time that anything to do with weddings is seen as an excuse for vastly inflated prices? That's definitely true of confetti cones too. I was always quite keen to make these myself, particularly once I realized that, like buying a wedding cake from M&S or Waitrose, you always had to do the hard part (the assembly) yourself. If you bought confetti cones at vast expense from the internet, they normally arrive flatpack and you would still have to do some complex origami to turn them into 3D receptacles for your beautiful confetti.



So you might as well just make them from start to finish, thereby saving yourself yet more cash which you can put towards better food, more booze or another night of honeymoon. Plus you won't end up in the ludicrous situation where your aunty runs around collecting all the used cones from the floor because they cost £6 per pack and she can't bear for them to be chucked away after 10 seconds of use (NB: this actually happened at a wedding I attended).



As you can see from these pictures, we had a bit of a "white lace theme" for our wedding. I know that sounds incredibly pretentious and/or precious but please try not to gag - all I mean by that is that my dress and the bridesmaid dress had white lace details, we had white paper "lace" bunting hung around the garden and we used lace to wrap the bouquets. In a stroke of genius of which I am very proud, I therefore made the confetti cones out of paper doilies - cheapo cheapo, really easy and, I think, incredibly pretty. Look at these! I think they looked gorgeous.





I made them one evening in front of the telly a couple of weeks before the wedding, and it took me an hour or so to make around 100. We used a variety of normal, big-plate sized doilies which I simply cut in half, rolled into hand-sized cones and stuck together with a stripe of pritt stick along the "seam". I didn't mind too much if they were slightly different sizes and widths, but if you wanted uniformity you could always make a mould out of cardboard or something. We then got a big basket, spread the bottom with shredded white tissue paper (so that the cones would stand up straight, not flop around on the base of the basket) and wiggled the cones into the shred so that they stood up, ready to receive the confetti. Easy peasy, practically free and extremely pretty, if I say so myself.



The main thing here, though, is the method. I loved the doilies - they were really one of my favourite wedding details - but you could use any pretty paper or card and just cut them into circles, then roll and stick. I'd say bear two points in mind: a) you might want them to look pretty on the inside of the cone as well as the outside, so consider double-sided paper/card, and b) the cone will need enough structural integrity to stand up straight to hold the petals (so just tissue paper alone wouldn't be strong enough). Other than that, the world and the stationery section of Paperchase would be your oyster.




Here they are in use with some of that white lace bunting behind. So there you go, incredibly easy. I should point out that, as with the confetti, the cake, the flowers on the dinner tables and my home made veil, I didn't just turn to DIY because it was cheaper (although it was) - I chose to do it because I loved having elements of the day which were personal and meaningful. They were hand made with love, totally personal and totally unique. Plus, I will immodestly say it again. Look how pretty they are! I loved them.

16 comments:

  1. Hi, can you tell me the size of paper doilies? I found so many of them in the supermarket!
    Thanks,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    I used two types that were about 8 inches and 10 inches across. The length of each cone will be half the width of the full doily, if you see what I mean, so that should help you to work out what size you want.

    They are very cheap though, so I recommend buying a few packs to experiment with before you decide which size you want. You can use any leftovers for a proper, old-fashioned afternoon tea!

    Good luck and hope they work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Thanks for your detailed info on this great idea! We will be making use of these cones at our wedding on the 17th March 2012!
    Thanks again :)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, so glad you've found this helpful - they're really easy, I promise. Hope you both have a wonderful day!

      Delete
    2. I was busy experimenting with doilies and card when I came across you page on the internet. I was glad to see a picture of exactly what I was doing. I am pleased to see that they worked out well for you so am doing this for my daughter's wedding in May. Thank you!!

      Delete
  4. i'm going to do this too and the petals so thanks and the pic is beautiful u both look so happy :)
    thanks again holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make a TOTALLY beaut bride!! You look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw thanks Emma and Holly! I would call this one of my more ridiculous faces, personally, but thank you nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! Which supermarket or store can I get paper dollies from? Many thanks. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy - definitely in supermarkets, kitchen supply shops like Lakeland, and I bet there are loads available online (Amazon maybe?). Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alexandra,

    I was just wondering how much confetti (weight wise) you needed to fill each cone? I'm going to have a go at making these cones at the weekend (thanks for sharing the idea, they're fab!). But I am going to need to buy some confetti petals as I don't have the time (or flowers!) to make my own (but thanks also for the tips on this!).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neesieb - I'm so sorry, I haven't a clue about weight! Maybe buy a pack or two for your practice run and see how much confetti you use per cone, then you can work out how much you'll need overall? So sorry not to be more help, but good luck - hope they work out well for you!

      Delete
  10. Oh these confetti cones are just perfect. Please can I ask where you bought your paper doilies from? I bought some online, but they are not delicate likes yours - they have big gaping holes and don't look half as pretty and dainty as yours:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Estelle - my mum bought them actually, I think some came from the supermarket and some from TK Maxx. You could also try somewhere like Lakeland? Good luck, hope you find some!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya, I'm getting married next year & have already started drying flowers. I've bought pack of 60 dollies for £1 from Poundland (in stores as Xmas stock), so halfing them will be more than ample
    Bought wicker basket from car boot sale for £1
    So excited at using this idea & very personalised
    Ordered coloured ribbon with my h2b's name & mine with wedding date for favours & ordered extra to tie around individual parts of the wicker basket

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Where did you buy the doilies from? I love the design!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget