Sunday, 3 July 2011

Cheesecakelets (Cheesecake-flavoured Pancakes)


Hmm. Bit of an odd one today, I'm afraid. This one sounded strange in the beginning, and I couldn't see how it would work, but the online reviews were rapturous and I thought I must be wrong. Well, I wasn't. Cottage cheese in a breakfast-style pancake IS weird.



As you may have noticed, I'm quite keen on cottage cheese and as we had some in the fridge which needed using up, I thought that this might be a good experiment. Nigella describes them quite seductively (but then, when does she not?) and with a bit of syrup, I thought these would be a lovely weekend treat breakfast.




Well, they were only fine. Nice enough, definitely edible - but they would fail the "shall we make this again?" test. There are many delicious pancakes in the world - and I have eaten far too few of them - but these would not come in the top 10. Or 20. Nowhere near the podium, basically.




I think that the essential problem was that the cottage cheese remained in discrete lumps inside the pancake. Weird slimy, squidgy nuggets lurking inside a normal pancake. And I know "slimy" and "squidgy" are words which could be used for cottage cheese in any context, and normally I don't mind that - in fact, I quite like it - but in pancake form they just didn't float our boats.




Much as I love Nigella, I know that her recipes are erratic. Some are genius, some are wonky, and some are frankly disgusting. I think that this one might fall into the wonky category.




We're still going to try Nigella again - for one thing, the preceding page of Feast has a recipe for banana buttermilk pancakes which sounds pretty tempting. But these ones again? Er, no. Feel free to try, but don't say I didn't warn you. And do mind the lumps of cottage cheese.




Still, quite a cool action shot of the pancake being flipped, eh? 



Nigella's Cheesecakelets (Cheesecake Pancakes)
Makes 16 pancakes


- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 225g cottage cheese (I didn't have quite enough, and had to make it up with some crème fraiche)
- 50g plain flour
- teaspoon of vanilla extract, or half a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste


Beat together the egg yolks and sugar, then mix in the cottage cheese, flour and vanilla until you have the unattractive looking mixture pictured above. Whisk the egg whites until frothy (she says not to bother getting out electric beaters, just use a hand whisk) then fold into the cottage cheesy eggy gloop.


Heat a frying pan and add the mix in spoonfuls, letting each side cook for a minute or so before flipping. I couldn't stop mine from getting quite dark, but hers came out a lot more golden so yours might be better.


Enjoy - or try, ponder, and decide not to make again. Your choice.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this pinned on your Pinterest board and I was so tempted! Cheesecakes and Pancakes! Oh my god, yes please. Alas, so sorry this was disappointing. If you do find a recipe that's more successful than this, do let me know :) xxx

    PS loving the action shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thank you! Yeah I was so hopeful too, but nigella must have been loopyloo when she came up with these. My quest will continue! Although it might get sidetracked towards a cheesecake flavour ice cream - anything becomes ice cream in this kitchen if it stands still long enough...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget