Thursday, 25 August 2011

Sweetcorn Hot Cakes


I'd like to apologise for two things. Firstly, for the fact that today's photos are so monochrome. Sweetcorn, polenta, eggs - it was just a symphony in yellow and there was nothing I could do about it. Wait until you see the picture of the raw batter, I think it might actually be the most disgusting, looks-like-vomit photo ever shown on this blog.


Secondly, I'm sorry for the fact that I just don't seem to have good pancake karma. Following on from Nigella's repulsive cottage cheese pancakes, these are at least edible - I'd even go so far as to say tasty. But I just don't really get the point of them. They're nice and everything, but would I make them again? Well, not really, not unless someone can tell me exactly when I should eat them and what I should eat with them. 


I spotted the recipe in the Waitrose magazine (which I love with a passion) and we gave them a whirl alongside sausages, roast onion and plentiful ketchup. In my head, it had been a kind of indoor barbecue - the only sort of barbecue we have a hope of enjoying this week, given the torrential downpours - but the corn cakes were just a bit... odd. 


I think my main problem with them was that they were very bland. Although one school of thought says that's what you want in the carb-component of a meal (see: mash), it can't be denied that they were a lot more faff than other carbs which are also much more delicious (see: mash).


They were also very sweet - duh, because of the sweetcorn - but to the extent that it felt like we were eating breakfast. Maybe they'd be better for breakfast? With some bacon and syrup? Maybe. But then why wouldn't you just do normal pancakes without the sweetcorn? I'm not sure it really added anything.


As you can see, these corn cakes have filled me with indecision, uncertainty and rhetorical questions. I think that's the third thing I should apologise for. Well, that and the repulsiveness of that batter photo. Here's hoping my beautifully manicured nails in the photo below provide a distraction. Look! Something that's not yellow!



Sweetcorn Hot Cakes
From a recipe in this month's Waitrose magazine
Makes about 30 little fritters


- 250g cooked sweetcorn (I used frozen, which I zapped in the microwave)
- 50g polenta
- 50g plain flour
- 75ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 40g butter, melted
- pinch of salt and pepper


Basically, bung it all in a food processor and whizz until combined but still chunky. Then fry spoonfuls of it over a medium heat in a frying pan with a bit more butter. Ta-dah! Little fritters filled with corn. Now what do you do with them?

2 comments:

  1. Have to definietly try this one! I love cork and I love pancakes :) so it should be a winner for me!

    Pozdrawiam.
    Anula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anula, hope you enjoy them! And smacznego!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget