Friday, 16 September 2011

Broccoli Slaw


As night follows day, as Autumn follows Summer, as Home and Away used to follow Neighbours (I think that shows my age), so too do salads follow cakes. In my ever-more desperate efforts to use up the contents of the fridge, I went to my favourite salad site, Smitten Kitchen, for broccoli inspiration. And against all the odds, I found it.


Come on, admit it - this sounds weird. Raisins, nuts and broccoli, with a creamy lemony dressing? I didn't expect it to be good. I mostly made it because I like the word "slaw", and I had (and wanted to use up) all the ingredients. This slapdash approach meant that I didn't really follow her recipe exactly, or take note of the measurements of what I used - I just did a splash of this and a handful of that. I know, I'm a disgrace to my blog.


But the good news is that it really worked. I'm just as shocked as you! Crunchy and fresh, with a tangy, sharp dressing and pops of sweetness from the raisins. For something so virtuous, it was surprisingly easy to get through a whole tupperware-full. And, unlike any leafy salads, this didn't go the slightest bit sad and wilted when I took it to work. In lunchbox terms, that's a winner! So next time you're trying to use up broccoli, mayonnaise, spring onion, almonds and golden raisins, you know exactly what to make with them. I think that's a very likely scenario, don't you?




Broccoli Slaw
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen 

- one person's portion of raw broccoli
- a handful of almonds, cut into chunks
- a handful of golden raisins (or she recommends dried cranberries)
- a spring onion, cut up fine

For the dressing
- about a teaspoon of mayonnaise
- splash of milk
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- splash of white wine vinegar (we had already packed the cider vinegar, which she stipulates)
- a pinch of sugar

Cut up the broccoli into small bits - really small, you don't want anything that'll protrude from your mouth embarrassingly when you eat. Toss them together with the spring onion, almonds and raisins. In another bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients and taste to check the balance of flavours, then pour over the salad and stir to combine. Eat and feel virtuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget