Monday, 6 February 2012

Oreo Mint Ice Cream


I know that my recent posts have been all about the technology but don't expect anything to change. We have just unpacked another wedding present - our Kitchen Aid ice cream maker bowl - and oh my god, I'm in love. It's just, it's...there are no words. I love it. He loves it. Our guests loved it, or to be more accurate they loved the ice cream we made in it. Everyone loves it, except for my waistline, and who needs a waistline when it's snowing outside? Not me! You could also say that this isn't the weather for ice cream but lalala, I can't hear you.


For our very first try, we needed something to follow Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder and as I am congenitally unable to resist a theme when it's in front of me, I thought we should try something minty. Incidentally, when we visited Rome when I was little, I remember very clearly that every single ice cream I ate, in every single gelateria we visited, was Mint Choc Chip. My mum and my sister tried a different flavour every time but not me, oh no. I'd found something I loved, something lurid green studded with dark brown nuggets, and nothing else could tempt me. God, what a boring child! I'm ashamed of myself. Still, single-minded fidelity seems pretty appropriate when we're talking about wedding presents.


For recipes, we turned to one of my favourite cookbooks, which I bought a few months ago (for a whole £5) and have longed to try ever since. It's the Ice Cream Bible. It's the Motherlode. It's the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and Dessert Book. What do you mean you've never heard of it? It's pretty niche, I grant you, and you'll need an American cup measure but the recipes are amazing. Not to mention quirkily presented and incredibly comprehensive for all your Ice Cream needs. Is it wrong if I want to make everything in the book? How about if I just start with the peanut butter ones? Peanut Butter and Banana, my toast addiction in ice cream form. I'm salivating just thinking about it.


Oreo Mint was our selection to follow the lamb and if you'll forgive me some technical lingo, it was a blinder. And it was so easy! We just whisked some stuff together(in the Kitchen Aid, normal bowl), transferred it to the frozen bowl, churned it for twenty minutes or so, added the chopped and chilled Oreos a few minutes before the end and ta-dah! Amazing, amazing ice cream. It comes out of the churning process pretty sloppy but after a few hours in the freezer it's ice cream perfection. And no, I can't quite claim that it's healthy but at least it's additive and e-number free and doesn't that count for anything, dammit? Wait, don't answer that. I've got the rest of the book to get through.


Oreo Mint Ice Cream
From the Ben and Jerry's book which is blowing my mind, it's so good
Makes a quart, if that means anything to you. More than a shop-bought tub, anyway


- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped Oreos (we used a few more, I think)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar (we used plain caster) 
- 2 cups of whipping cream (we didn't have quite enough, and made up the difference with milk - it was fine)
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract


Put the Oreos in a covered bowl in the fridge to get good and cold.


Whisk the eggs for a couple of minutes in a large bowl until fluffy, then whisk in the sugar, a little at a time. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk for a minute or so, then the peppermint and whisk again for a couple of minutes until everything is well blended. 


Transfer to an ice cream maker and go! Add the biscuits a few minutes before the ice cream is ready (this stops the chunks from all sinking to the bottom). Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget