Saturday, 31 March 2012

Salted Caramel Ice Cream


Ha! Yesterday, four people came to this blog by googling "morbid obesity". I'm not even joking (this is the post it takes them to, in case you were wondering. Luckily, it's not a picture of me). I'd say that makes it a good time to post another ice cream recipe, wouldn't you?


I know, I know. Ever since we finally got the chance to play with our wedding presents (in a home! of! our! own! No, the novelty hasn't worn off yet), it's been all ice cream, all the time. There's been Ben and Jerry's Oreo Mint, a Pear Sorbet and a Chocolate Sorbet so sublime, so surprisingly and delightfully wonderful, that I feel panicky just thinking about all the people who sneer at the concept without tasting the deliciousness. Honestly, everyone, just try it. Try it then come back to me, with your mind officially blown, and admit that you were wrong. I'll be over here making another batch.


But not today. Today, we're talking about the faffiest, scariest, most high-pressure recipe yet to grace this blog. It'll wreck your kitchen, your composure, and possibly the skin on your hands and arms. Not to mention your waistline. But it'll be worth it. Today, we're talking about Salted Caramel Ice Cream.


A couple of weeks ago, I recounted in tedious detail how I'd taken the plunge and made my first ever caramel (for the Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake). I threatened then that I was already plotting new reasons to repeat the process and, as if by magic, this recipe by David Lebovitz swum up through the ether and suggested itself. After my first caramel experiment resulted in no loss of limb or dignity, I knew the time had come to tackle not just caramel, not just caramel praline, but caramel, caramel praline AND custard all at once. Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.


The rest, as they say, was history. Well, incredibly complicated and difficult but satisfying and ultimately delicious history. That's not quite as catchy as the original saying, is it? It got a bit hairy at times - when adding the cream and milk, it really did seize into a solid lump and there was lots of stirring frantically over a gentle heat, willing it to melt - but it did, and I managed the custard without making scrambled eggs, and the finished result is incredible. I mean, chocolate-sorbet-rivalling incredible. Wait, that won't sound so amazing to those of you who are (wrongly) iffy about the chocolate sorbet concept, will it? Ok, I'll put it this way. They are both amazing. Rich, decadent, incredible. Sorry, morbidly obese Google searchers. I can't promise this ice cream kick will end any time soon.


Salted Caramel Ice Cream
From David Lebovitz's blog


This recipe is incredibly long and involved so, really, you're best off to visit David Lebovitz's blog and see it all (with step-by-step photos!) there. And good luck! Try not to burn yourself. Or to eat it all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget