Monday, 28 May 2012

Butternut Gratin

 

Good morning / afternoon / evening (delete as appropriate) and a big, sunny, diamond jubilee hello from Greedy Gusto, DineAtMine's guest blogger.

It always cheers me up to read the DineAtMine blog, and we love it when we get comments from readers who enjoy it too. Unfortunately, though, we recently got a letter from one disgruntled reader (a Mrs Madge E Micks), complaining that all the posts recently had used the KitchenAid (which we got as a wedding present from my wife's brother), but not the food processor (which we got as a wedding present from my brother). Yes the KitchenAid makes yummy things like cakes and ice cream, and it's a shimmery red colour, and is far more photogenic than the utilitarian MagiMix, and pictures of it (like the whisk pulling slowly out of the soft peaks of the whipped meringue mix) verge on the obscene for a family friendly blog. But the MagiMix can do good stuff too!



So the purpose of this post is to give the Magimix some well deserved time on the DineAtMine blog. I use the Magimix all the time - for zuzzing up a fruit smoothie (not sure if zuzzing is a word, but it's what I use), for chopping up vegetables for a stir fry, for squeezing orange juice (yes, the Magimix has a juice squeezing attachment that works really well; and honestly, the best freshly squeezed orange juice I've ever tasted was made last weekend using a bag of Sainsburys Basics oranges costing only 69p. Unexpectedly delicious). By the way, I apologise that this blog is punctuated by lots of offhand comments - I'm in the middle of reading "I, Partridge", and I can now only write in the style of Alan Partridge. Because I find it very funny. (Note to editor, we should probably have a link for readers to purchase "I, Partridge" on Amazon.)





So as I was saying, the purpose of this post is to give some airtime to the MagiMix. And not just because my brother bought it for us. But because it also makes delicious recipes like this gratin in no time. Using a knife and a chopping board, the preparation for this recipe would take me at least 2 and a half weeks, but in the Magimix these thin butternut wedges were prepared in a matter of minutes. By the way, you may have noticed that I've switched my capitalisation between MagiMix and Magimix - just thought I'd mix it up a bit (pun intended).





Like all Greedy Gusto's recipes, this one is quick, easy and greedy. There aren't many ingredients and there's no need to measure things out accurately. Just follow your heart. Add as much cream, milk and nutmeg as you like, bake it for as long as you think necessary, and it'll turn out great.




Butternut Squash Gratin
Adapted from various recipes - fingers crossed it works

- 1 butternut squash
- Cream and milk
- Ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Grated cheddar

First cut off the ends of the butternut squash, then cut it in half lengthways, and half again, and take out the seeds. Then simply feed it through your MagiMix (other food processors should work too) using the finest slicing blade (and when I say finest, I mean thinnest, not "the finest blade that money can buy").

Assemble the triangles of butternut squash in a low oven dish, and pour in cream and milk (using a 50/50 ratio) mixed with the grated cheddar, until the liquid is lapping at the edges of the top layer of squash. Then add a smattering of ground nutmeg, and some salt and pepper.

Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour at 200 degrees, until the squash is cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget