Friday, 10 August 2012

Cheesy, Garlicky Grilled Mushrooms


Phew, thank god for that. All through Wednesday - otherwise known as "what? haven't we won anything yet?" day - I thought I'd jinxed it. All that talk about medals and golds and astonishing success on Tuesday; a deafening silence from Team GB on Wednesday. Every time you checked the telly, or looked for an update online, tumbleweed blew through the nation. It was as though we'd become accustomed to winning, to a constant stream of metal and medals - and somehow, no one could quite believe a victory-free day. But yesterday team GB returned to form. With prancing horses, boxing gloves and some form of pyjamas, Britain's sporting women were on fire. There's just three days left until the closing ceremony (which, as far as I'm concerned, is all about the rumoured Spice Girls reunion - what? I'm a child of the 90s) and surely, surely, we can't muck it up now. I'm still touching wood, though. Is it safe to celebrate properly yet?



Yesterday evening I went with my mum to see my cousin in action as a volunteer Games-Maker. Dressed in luminous pink and purple, armed to the gunnels with specially-learned facts, she spent the afternoon wilting in the heat outside City Hall, distributing maps, brochures, information, directions, advice and general good cheer. The rings were hanging from Tower Bridge; a male choir was singing "Clang Clang Clang went the Trolley"; people were smiling and waving and chatting and happy. A huge crowd picnicked in front of a big screen, and the flagged and buntinged South Bank was swarming. How can anyone say that London has become a ghost town? I've never seen it so busy.




But before this blog becomes all-Olympics, all the time, let me tell you about these mushrooms. My husband's not a huge fungus fan so we don't tend to eat them as much as I'd like, but I took advantage of his absence the other day to try out this recipe. It's so Jamie Oliver, it's not even funny - all his favourite flavours (lemon, chilli, garlic, fresh herbs - tick, tick, tick, tick), quick and simple to prepare. I thought it would be nice. I didn't realise it would taste AMAZING. Honestly, I know this looks simple - but it's one of the most mouth-watering things I've made for months. I'm going to make them again today, and even considering springing them on the anti-mushroom man. Delicious, cheesy, easy, juicy, meaty, yum. I won't insult your intelligence by pointing out their resemblance to a gold medal (come on, yellowish and round), but you know I'm thinking it.


Cheesy, Garlicky Grilled Mushrooms
From Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals
I leave the number of mushrooms per serving between you and your conscience. Except to say that I ate two without any trouble whatsoever.

- 2 portobello mushrooms, washed or peeled, with the tip of the stalk trimmed
- a clove of garlic, crushed
- a quarter of a red chilli, finely chopped
- few sprigs of parsley
- zest of about a third of a lemon
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 2 slices of cheddar (or, frankly, any hard or squidgy cheese - I cannot think of a single one which wouldn't work)

Preheat your grill and put the mushrooms bowl-side-up in a tray or ceramic dish.

Scatter the garlic, chilli, parsley and lemon evenly over each mushroom, followed by some salt and pepper and a good drizzle of olive oil. Place the cheese on top, then put under the grill for roughly 10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve with bread to soak up the mushroomy juices, yum yum yum.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious... defs worthy of a gold medal in my book

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget