Sunday, 12 August 2012

Olympic Cake




Quick! There are a few hours left until the Olympic flame is doused, which means that there's still time to make a themed cake. What do you mean, you'd rather sit out in the sunshine with your feet up and a drink in hand? That's not the Olympic spirit! That's not the dedication and tenacity which took this country to 3rd place in the medal tables! Rightly or wrongly, I couldn't let the Olympics end without marking the occasion in cake batter. This has been my afternoon's work, to accompany this evening's Closing Ceremony, and I don't regret a second of it. 



I take no credit whatsoever for the idea, which I shamelessly copied from my husband's brother's girlfriend's cousin (come on, keep up). She brought a beautiful, innocuous looking white-iced sponge cake to an Olympics barbecue last weekend, cut it open and blew our minds. Honestly, I can't even tell you how amazing this cake was, nor how intense our sugar rush was after eating it. It was far and away the gold medal winner of the day and I pay homage to her with this teeny version. 



It's a variant of the ombre cake, which is itself a variant of my basic vanilla sponge with double cream buttercream. As there will only be three of us eating it, I used a 6inch tin and as with the ombre, the food colouring does all the work - blue, yellow, green, black, red, all in perfect Olympian order. On that note, you really don't want to see the state of my tongue after licking out five different cake bowls. 


Enjoy the ceremony, and the last few hours of London 2012 - at least, until the Paralympics start. 




The all-important slice shot will follow just as soon as the deed has been done! Edited to add: as promised, here it is. Wonky, out of focus and totally unstyled but I blame the excitement. Or, ahem, the wine. 


Olympic Cake

As discussed above, this is basically the ombre cake, which is itself the basic vanilla sponge with double cream buttercream. For a little 6inch tin, I used 3 eggs (and therefore 6oz of butter, sugar and flour), and divided the mix into five, each coloured to match a ring. The cakes took about 15 minutes to cook in a 180C oven. 

2 comments:

  1. It was DELICIOUS and AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thank you very much! It was my pleasure to attend such an excellent Olympics party...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget