Monday, 29 October 2012

Spicy Toasted Pumpkin Seeds


Let me be honest. This post is purely and simply an excuse to blog my pumpkin, aka the best £1.50 I've spent in months. With my mum, a template from Florence Finds  and a lethally sharp knife, I spent Sunday afternoon giggling wildly and regressing twenty years. And I don't regret a single second of it. Look at that pumpkin! Look at the bat in the moon! The stars! The spooooookiness! 


The logical next step is to dig out that terrible 90s film of the Worst Witch (with Tim Curry and Diana Rigg) - which we used to watch every Halloween without fail - curl up in the candlelight and dye some baked beans green. Which my mum did at a particularly noteworthy Halloween party of our youth. Even when you know they're just baked beans, it's impossible to force yourself to eat them. Slime! Mucus! Mould! Gross.


Other themed foodstuffs from the same party, according to the list she dug out and brought along: two types of eyeballs (frozen grapes and pickled onions); fried monsters and dried out tongues (Monster Munch and Quavers); blood-stained fingers (hot dogs with ketchup) and shrivelled toes (mini sausages); ectoplasm jelly and compost cake tiffin. Ah, we made our own fun back in those days. And even though I'm now a grown-up of advanced years, I really want to do it all again - fancy dress, comedy canapes at all. At least, that's what my Pinterest seems to suggest. And Pinterest never lies.


But back to the present day, and my final trick - gouging out the flesh rather than cutting right through. Look at this boo! It still makes me snigger. Between the pumpkin, the seeds and the variety pack of chocolates, we're all sorted for Wednesday and any marauding kids who want to make their own memories on our road. As long as we don't eat all the Maltesers first, that is. Happy Halloween!



Spicy Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

- pumpkin seeds, stripped of the stringy pumpkin flesh
- pinch of sea salt
- olive oil
- big pinch of smoked paprika
- pinch of brown sugar

Simply toss all the ingredients together, spread out in a thin layer on a baking tray and toast in a 180C oven for half an hour, stirring once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget